Vitaminwater, a Coca Cola company has challenged US residents to give up their phone for one whole year and in exchange, they will give you $100,000.
The challenge has been put up to stop US citizens from smartphone addiction.
Do you know 1 out of 2 people say they couldn’t live without their smartphone?
This challenge sounds fun and exciting, no phone for a year and you can get a chance to win $100,000.
Vitaminwater is willing to bet you can’t do it and they are right. Living without your smartphone in 2019 seems to be next to impossible.
Our lives are completely dependent on our smartphones nowadays and 365 days without your smartphone sounds like a crazy challenge rather than a fun and exciting one.
I would consider myself as an average smartphone user, I’m not addicted to my phone.
But still I’m going to try this and I will not use my smartphone in the year 2019.
NOTE: I’m not a US citizen, therefore I can’t win that prize money.
Just like an ordinary person I use my smartphone for making payments, using maps, taking photos, etc.
Calculating the collateral damage
If you are like me who is willing to give up their phone for a year. Then its always better to analyze all the pros and cons.
- This journey will be an extremely challenging one. Filled with new challenges and opportunities.
- I will have a lot of free time which I can use to learn something new.
- I think I will be able to connect, by disconnecting with my smartphone, with those I care about.
- I think I will make a lot of new friends in 2019, when they know I’m not using my phone for a year.
- I’m afraid that I might lose connections with some of my friends.
- I won’t be able to make payments, book a cab and use maps.
- I won’t be able to use the camera app and I have to carry my other camera everywhere I go.
- I won’t be winning the prize money 😦
- By 2020 my smartphone will be outdated.
And maybe these are the reasons why Vitaminwater thinks nobody can complete their challenge.
Prepare for impact
I have decided to ditch my smartphone for a year starting January 1, 2019. To see how does it impact my life.
To make sure I can live without my phone, I need to make myself less dependable on my phone.
I started by switching to the browser versions of the apps I use on my phone and downloaded PC friendly apps so I can use them from my workstation.
I changed the two-factor authentication (2FA) settings so I don’t have to use my phone every time I sign-in to my account.
I started my search to find a reason for which I’m willing to ditch my smartphone. As the excitement to win $100,000 will not work in my case.
I will continue to use a feature phone, for basic calling and receiving texts.
Follow me on Twitter @romil_kurt for more updates and other stuff.
And keep an eye out for the Part 2
Wish me luck.